STUDENT Pucon Classics II, III, & IV+
December 29, 2018 - January 5, 2019
STUDENT PUCON CLASSICS STORY
“We do pool roll practice all fall semester. Just as they are getting good winter comes and we don’t kayak again until April. Our beginner and intermediates being able to do an intensive week of kayak training in Chile would take them to the next level.” -Purdue University Kayak Program Student Leaders
Student Pucon Classics is designed primarily for beginner to intermediate kayakers. The popular Student Leadership Pucon Classics works with this program to help progress II to III students to running rivers with control and safety.
Who should apply to Student Leadership Pucon Classics?
- Students keen to advance their kayaking from pool rolling to river combat rolls and river runs.
- Experienced student kayakers seeking to improve both their kayaking and leadership skills.
- Less experienced kayakers keen to advance kayaking and leadership skills.
- Beginner kayakers keen to travel and explore Chile and kayak rivers.
- Advanced student kayakers. Yes. Advanced student kayakers can attend this program and have the opportunity to run advanced rivers.
- GROUP ORGANIZER DISCOUNTS. Are you a group organizer, club leader, professor that can organize groups? You can earn a FREE trip and discounts based on your group size. Email David@PuconKayakHostel.com to learn our DISCOUNT SCHEDULE.
- 10% DISCOUNT STUDENT LEADER INSTRUCTORS. Student Leader Instructors participate in second week instructional program. You will learn more. Do more. And receive a discount. Email David@PuconKayakHostel.com.
This program was designed when PKH owner David Hughes sat down with kayak leaders from the Purdue Outing Club. Students were seeking a kayak program that could segue beginner and intermediate pool session kayakers to their first safe and exciting river runs. David asked, “Would you guys rather go run more challenging rivers or help lead your club kayakers?” The class III+ to IV students answered, “We would like to learn how to better lead and teach kayaking to new kayakers.”
Are you a Student with solid whitewater skills? Want to learn to lead and teach other students?
Student Leadership Pucon Classics, DEC 22 – JAN 5, is designed for experienced student kayakers. Our professional NOC instructional team will teach student kayakers how to lead trips, set safety, communicate, plan meetings, identify student challenges, assess rapids and students, and run Pucon’s best rivers. Is this as good as kayak tripping gets? Student Leadership Pucon Classics combines the experienced kayakers week of exploring rivers and learning how to lead with the Student Pucon Classics (II to III) students real world instructional leadership training. Learn more.
Two skills groups:
- Class II to III Development – You will go to safe rivers and features to work on your combat roll with support, work eddy lines, surf, and progress your skills under the Chilean sun. Each day the rivers progress as do your skills.
- Class III+PLUS Leadership – Experienced kayakers get the greatest leadership and kayaking experience with benefits of both leadership skills and getting to paddle challenging runs too. Some sessions will be dedicated to teaching experienced kayak leaders how to instruct, set safety, scout, and lead kayakers. Our NOC kayak instructional team are the whitewater industry standard for leadership. To make the trip even cooler we’ll take the leadership group out on some of the more challenging runs too.
Imagine waking to breakfast followed by morning coffee in the movie dome. Your coaches teach a class on the fundamentals of kayaking strokes, scouting, and kayak edging. Videos play of the day’s river. Will it be the Tolten’s blue class III rapids idea for combat rolls? The boofs on the Lower Trancura? Or roll practice at Lago Caburgua or the hot springs? This is as good as instruction gets.
After class gear is loaded and you head to your river or lake section for intensive coaching and skills development. Even you will be surprised by how much you can progress with such great coaching and river features. Lunch might be at a Chilean empanada stand baked fresh from the mud oven. Then its back to another river section.
A trip highlight of the week will be your Rio San Pedro (II to III+) overnight camp trip. How much did you progress? Is your roll solid? Good. Let’s try kayaking the San Pedro. Still not confident with your roll. OKay. Let’s take the inflatable kayak. This is going to be good. This is as good as life gets.
Most Popular. Want More! Check out our two week STUDENT LEADERSHIP PUCON CLASSICS, DEC 22 – JAN 5.
*Due to water levels, skills, and group needs the following itinerary is subject to change and is only a best prediction of the itinerary.
- Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
- Kayak Rental
- Airport Transfer
- World’s Best Kayak Instruction
- Daily River Transports
Day 1 (DEC 29)
Arrival to Temuco Airport (ZCO) between 11 AM to 5 PM.
Boat outfitting and welcome.
Afternoon Lower Trancura Skills Assessment & Jet lag Wash. Welcome to Pucon Kayak Hostel appetizers, provisions and dinner by fire.
Day 2 (DEC 30): River Goals, Coaching, Boofing, Piercing Eddies and Making Moves
AM – Kayak Theory + Lower (II-III+) or Upper Trancura (III, IV, IV+ w/portagables) run
PM – Upper Palguin (IV) or Liucura Wave to Trancura (II, III+)
Day 3 (DEC 31)
AM – Pack for Maichin Full Day trip.
AM/PM – Maichin (III – IV w/portagables) +PLUS Pucon Fireworks Optional
Day 4 (Jan 1): Full Day Road Trip Options: Blanco, San Pedro, Truful Truful, Fuy
AM – Depart for Rio San Pedro (II – IV w/portagables. Inflatable kayak options.)
PM – Paddle San Pedro
Day 5 (Jan 2)
AM – Kayak Theory + Lower Trancura or Upper Palguin (IV) Full Day
PM – Liucura Wave to Trancura or Upper Palguin Full Day
Day 6 (Jan 3)
AM – Upper Palguin (III+ to IV Group)
PM – Afternoon in Pucon
Day 7 (Jan 4)
AM / PM – Full Day Road Trip River Option
Day 8 (Jan 5)
AM – Early AM laps on Palguin or Trancura… kayaker option. Or Pucon crafts and souvenirs shopping.
Temuco Airport (ZCO) Departure Flights Between 11 AM to 5 PM.