Getting from Temuco Airport (ZCL) to Pucón:
From the Temuco Airport we recommend two options:
Request an Airport Transfer by PKH, $US140
Providing we have vehicle and driver available you can reserve a private transfer. Why so much? This roundtrip takes one of our employees and vehicles out of rotation for 4 to 6 hours depending on traffic and wait times, tolls each way, gas, and parking fees.
Temuco Airport to Pucon Transfer,10,000 pesos (about $US15)
This option will get you delivered to the Hotel Pucon direct in downtown Pucon. You may ask the driver to deliver you to Pucon Kayak Hostel and provide our directions. Which may or may not be approved by the driver. A taxi from Pucon to the hostel ranges from about 8,000 to 10,000 pesos (about $US12 to $US16) with 8,000 being a fair price. (See Pucon to PKH by taxi) Above 10,000 and you are getting Gringo taxed. Travelers may save the taxi fee and take a bus from Pucon to PKH. (see Pucon to PKH by Bus)
Getting from Pucón to Pucón Kayak Hostel by BUS
Buses in Pucón run every half hour (from 6:00 am – 10:00 pm) and cost roughly $600 pesos (circa $1 USD). Here are some tips for successfully navigating the bus system.
- Across from the Jac Bus Station in Downtown Pucón are buses with the label “Caburgua” on top. These local buses are small (roughly 20 passengers). They run to Caburgua AND Curarrehue. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE RIGHT ONE – TO CABURGUA.
- Tell the bus driver you want to stop at “Pucón Kayak Hostel” or “Cabanas Metrenehue” (our next-door neighbor with a much bigger sign) or “Puente Metrenehue” (which translates to the Metrenehue Bridge, which crosses the Rio Trancura).
- After about a 10 KM drive, look for a yellow kayak by the gate. If you cross over the Trancura (via Metrenehue Bridge), ask the driver to stop immediately. Get out, walk back across the bridge and take your first left into our property.
Getting from Pucón to Pucón Kayak Hostel by TAXI
Taxis cost between $10,000 and $15,000 CLP. Make sure you get the taxi driver to quote your price upfront!
- Tell the taxi you want to go to “Pucon Kayak Hostel” or “Cabanas Metrenehue” or “Puente Metrenehue”.
- Always Always ALWAYS ask the price before you agree and get inside. The going rate should be around $10,000 pesos.
- Call David’s Chilean Cell, and if possible, he will come get you or send someone for the same price as a taxi ($10,000 pesos).
Driving to Pucón Kayak Hostel
- Drive through Pucón and take the International Highway in the direction of Caburgua.
- Pass the roundabout, go a few kilometers, then pass a tiny local airport on your left. Keep going straight.
- Approximately 10 KM from Pucón (and 4 KM from the small airport) you will leave the commercial district and enter moreforested terrain. Just prior to Puente Metrenehue (the bridge that crosses the Trancura River) is a street light, which is a
good marker at night. Our property is within sight of the bridge, so if you’ve made it that far, you’re super close!
- The PKH driveway is JUST before the Rio Trancura bridge (aka “Puente Metrenehue”) on the right. There is a kayak at the gatebut is not easy to see.
- If you cross the Rio Trancura Bridge, you’ve gone slightly too far. Just turn around and take the first driveway to your leftafter your cross BACK OVER the bridge (if you’re standing on the bridge, we are just upstream on river left).